Home > Uncategorized > A Day in the Life…

A Day in the Life…

So today was the second day in a row we had a scheduled doubleheader, while yesterday’s was a split opening (11am and 7:30pm) today was just a single admission 4:15 and 7:30pm.  The league cut the games today down to 7-innings in order to save pitching with the 5-game series.  It definitely made sense and worked since the people who paid the ticket price were still guaranteed (I use that term lightly) to see 14-innings of baseball.  So since it was a good day (highlighted by a sweep of the doubleheader)  I figured I’d give you a glimpse in to the life of Aileen, if just for the day:

Saturday the 3rd of December 2011:

 12:00 am – 1:00am: Still at the ballpark sending out press releases, updating the web story and debriefing on the longest and oddest day of baseball I’ve ever been a part of:

1:00- 1:45am – drive home back to St. Ives

1:45 – 3am – shower, relax and catch up with friends on gchat

3am – 7:30am – sleep

7:30-8:30am: get ready for work, and speak to Patricia (host-mom) for the first time in over 48 hours

8:30am-9:15am – drive to work

9:15 – noon: set up Press Release, AAP scoring SMP Shot list Templates.  Update website with mediawall and Ustream functions

noon – 2pm: Social media stuff & operational odds and ends around the stadium

2pm- 2:49pm: Cut up chicken for the teams and umpires – -highlight of my day as we are required to feed these people before and after games on a tight budget.  So the GM picked up some roast chickens at the shoppes, and the girls were sent to the kitchen (sexist in know)

2:50pm – 2:54 pm – bring the meals, including chicken, stuffing, salad, oranges, and mixed nuts down to the respective changing rooms

2:55pm – 2:5pm – asked by Brisbane to bring their food back to a fridge since they won’t eat it until the break between games (saves us on giving them food then =))

3pm – maybe I should change since gates just opened for the first game??

3:15 -3:30 – set up info booth which has membership cards, USA tour information, Syd’s Lucky Dot raffle (did I mention they like to ‘punt’ here?), membership cards, etc.

3:30 through most of the first game – Stand at the info booth and answer any questions people may have, sell raffles, provide membership cards, check on volunteers, media, etc.  Ask where out photographers were, that was fun when they didn’t show up until the last inning

6:15pm – game ends with a 5-3 win by US!

6:16 pm– myself and Ashley head out to the outfield to set up T-ball fields

6:20 – fields set and teams come on to the game to play a game between games

6:20 – 6:25pm – Make sure Brisbane gets the food they asked me to store away for them

6:26 – 7pm talk to Scorers, press release writer, SMP photographer (provide shot list and run sheet for the happenings of the game), Fox Sports guys arrives, I get him settled in, show people to their seats, tell SMP guy to take pictures of Aussie Tball kids

7pm-7:30pm – make sure kids get off field, go to info booth, answer questions with volunteers, make sure Ustream has been working all day, run up to scorers booth, ask PA guy to make announcement of a lost earring

7:30 – 7:40pm – second game begins & I go back to info booth to make sure volunteers are good, hear how the national anthem didn’t go as planned with the t-ballers running on to the field, but that’s for another day

7:40-8:00pm – head in to the office to try to write the press release from the first game

8:00-8:20pm – send out press release and post web story on the site, make sure mediawall is updated to note to just watch the game for the night

8:20 – 8:30 – introduce the ABL media guy to the Fox Sports videographer so he can spot him on the night,

830 – 8:40 – make sure no-nonsense is happening on social media fronts so we can take care of any complaints

8:41 – 8:50 – head out to the info booth to see if anything needs to be done

8:51 – 9:29 – go do my magic sales with the USA Tour raffle – conversion rate of about 90% with 9 out of 10 people buying at least 1 – im awesome

9:30 – game ends with a 7-0 win for the Blue Sox, swept the doubleheader

9:31 – myself and Ashley head out again to the outfield, but this time to set up the Kids Dash for Cash promo!  Basically spread out coins over the outfield and all kids U12 have a chance to run out and pick as many up as possible.  One special coin has a marking that shows they won a $1000 holiday, pretty sweet deal

9:40 – 9:50pm – make sure all the kids leave the field and thank everyone for coming

9:50 – 11:00pm – Fox Sports Video and Edit, write up a script for the content they provide to the news outlets, Send out press release, update website with game day story, sent out AAP scoring

11:01 – 12:00am – crack open a nice cold Toohey’s New and debrief on the night

12:00am – 12:45am – drive back to St. Ives

12:45 – 1:23am (current): write this blog, now headed to sleep…Gnite Moon

Back to the ballpark by 8:30am tomorrow for the 5th and final game of the series, first pitch 1pm

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Tracy
    December 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm

    OMG…I am exhausted just reading that!!! Great job A!!

  2. Katie Spillane
    December 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm

    That was exhausting!!! When do you breathe?!

  3. Dad
    December 6, 2011 at 3:12 am

    Great job!

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: